Handwriting course Stefans homework

Sat Jan 13 09:09:32 UTC 2007

Hi Valerie – sw-listmembers – participants of the SW Handwriting course –

attached you find page 8  - homework of this Handwriting course

Hi Valerie – here are my comments while I tried to follow your advice :

1)       I asked myself – thinking of my students and of me when I had been
a 6 year old boy – does it make sense to write carefully and slowly in the
beginning instead of just focus on speed?

At my age – speed is not my first interest in Handwriting – but rather the
option to be able to take notes in a reasonable time if no computer is
asside – or if I wish to make a first draft of video-transcription –

So I guess I will retry to write everything with more accuracy – even as if
writing a calligraphic piece of art –  For my first grade students I even
developed worksheets that allowed them just to write upon given lines and
letters in order to practise the keystroke again and again in a guided
manner ... I think of same materials for SW Handwriting.

2)       In order to understand the Handwriting procedure I had to turn
several time to your posted lessons – showing lifelike drawings of
handshapes – SW printing and SW Handwriting aside. Thanks for that – it is a
great support

3)       Within this context – I bet that a rather stupid repetition of
every handshape in all 96 variations would be a rather helpful task to
become familiar with how to write ... I would prefer to have access to a
table of clearly written handsymbols of the six basic hand shapes we used to
talk about –

4)       Flat hand with no lines (parallel to the floor seems not that easy
to read for me – hm – somehow I feel uncomfortable with this solution – how
about others??

5)       What about arrow – writing. I am looking forward to learn about
your ideas how to distinguish between right hand/ lefthand – both hands
arrows (Within this excercise I watched myself to neglect the fill for the
right hand movement and even wrote the arrowhead – which is used in printing
for “hands as unit” – for right hand movement – Especially circle movements
( like in sign are of particular interest to me.)

6)       When I started to create TT-Fonts for publishing I tried to
understand your idea bind “symbol – construction”  At that time I measured
every sign and compared the lenghts of the lines and the proportions of
different symbols. In the end I understood several principles that are
really interesting regarding lenght and width of the differen symbols. Who
knows how much time you spend on this question or whether you felt guided by
DOS – pixel – graphic – possibilities? Anyway while trying to do my homework
I understood that there are different proportions compared to printing- for
example often I write the circle for the head too small ... so I guess it
will take time to develop a kind of feeling for proportions in handwriting?

7)       It turned out that copying printing to Handwriting repeatedly has
been a neccessary until I felt able to do the Handwriting without additional
support. I guess that Deaf people – fluent in their SignLanguage – will have
not as much trouble to imagine a visual representation of all the different
possibilities of handshape and handorientation. So back to practice of
writing again and again 96 hand –tables - ;-)

8)       Can you add numbers to the pages or can you teach me how to add
numbers to a downloaded PDF ?

9)       What do you recommend for scanning? The scanner offers different
options – 100 dpi enough for our purposes? Are you interested in the
original page or just in what we wrote on paper. The last option would allow
us to scan a smaller area – less pixel – minor bites!

10)   Just imaging – sitting in your house – doing this Handwriting it would
be helpful to get your feedback while you are going around and looking at my
procedure – smaller or big enough, too slow or quick enough, and to learn
from others about their ideas, problems and questions. So thank you soooo
much for your time and attention to do all this email-feedback and your
website – design – which is a standard of its own - congrats  -

I got photos from some participants and as I said before it is fun to put
faces to the names and lateron sign names. So everybody of this Handwriting
course is invited who is interested to get his own Handwriting and Printing
signname as a unique TT – Font to send a photo to me. –

I am looking forward to study the comments and feedback and to learn more
about Handwriting next week.

Have a super  weekend

Stefan ;-)