How to learn SignWriting if you are a beginner...

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sun Jan 14 20:44:44 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
January 14, 2007

Pauline Roberts wrote:
> Due to health mainly I am not sure if I am going to be able to do/
> continue
> the course and keep up with everyone.  I have got as far as
> printing the
> homwork  out but that has been it.  What I want to know is this:
> Would it
> be better for me to delay the course as it is now, and just try and
> do the
> basics first when I can in my own time?  Or can students on this mini
> course just submit homework etc when they can, even if it is well
> behind
> everyone else?  I am happy to go along with what is best for you Val.

Hello Pauline -
I am sorry to hear about your health. I understand...

No pressure. I have decided to spend the next week (the second
lesson) just reading the homework and giving everyone
feedback...which means that you have another week, if you wish, to
submit the homework...because it will take me the whole week to give
everyone feedback...so it is totally flexible and do not worry...

On the other hand, if you are totally new to SignWriting, and would
like to start with the basics, by learning to read and write the
Printing...which is the way to start...that makes sense too!

You can always return to learning the Handwriting later...

How to learn from the beginning? Go to...

1. Lessons Web Directory
http://www.signwriting.org/lessons

--------

choose to read some textbooks...

2. Lessons in SignWriting Textbook
http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/lessonsw

--------

3. View SignWriting Videos on the Web
http://www.SignWriting.org/video

--------

4. Ask questions on the SignWriting List

------

5. Start Writing in your SignPuddles...

SignPuddle for Belfast
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle/sgn-NorthernIreland/index.php

SignPuddle for Great Britain
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle/sgn-GB/index.php

-----

and if need be...

6. Take private lessons with me on videophone or Skype
http://www.SignWriting.org/shop

Become a SignWriting Member to receive private lessons
with Valerie Sutton by videophone, voice phone, Skype or iChat
Write for an appointment or for more information: Sutton at SignWriting.org