Shane's Glowing Intro

Jonathan duncanjonathan at YAHOO.CA
Mon Jan 15 00:16:17 UTC 2007

Charles Butler wrote:
> In teaching SW I have had lefties and righties in my classes, and part of the difficulty sometimes is that the lefties have gotten so used to mirroring, that trying to get them to write down their own hands instead of everyone else's is a challenge.
>
>   Now, in the long term, I suppose a button in sign text that could take an entire sign, and reverse the image to left hand prime production would be ideal, that is a challenge for a programmer to work on, as it requires a full understanding of the whole production of a sign and reversing everything directionally if it is a personal sign and not one pointing at an object not present (like setting up multiple people).  Doing that will require a root understanding of the grammar of an utterance, and that will be another hurdle to jump over.

Hi Charles,
    I am a computer programmer and am learning SignWritting.  I was
thinking about what you wrote about mirroring a sign.  It seems to me
that flipping each symbol within the SignText rectangle then moving it
to the horizontal distance from the left side of the rectangle that
equals the distance between the right most edge of the symbol and the
right hand side of the square, any sign should be able to be mirrored.
Of course then we would also have to pass the signs from the right-lane
to the left-lane and vice versa.  Your comment suggests that some signs
might not mirror properly doing it this way.  I was wondering if you
could think of any concrete examples.
    To change from "receptive" to "expressive"  I believe that it would
require changing the fill for the hand after mirroring the sign.

What do you think?

Jonathan