Religious Literature in SignWriting

Jonathan duncanjonathan at YAHOO.CA
Wed Jan 17 02:51:47 UTC 2007

Valerie Sutton wrote:
> SignWriting List
> January 15, 2007
>
> Jonathan from Honduras wrote:
>> Many of the people in our religious organization that are learning
>> sign language and the deaf we are teaching will want to have some
>> kind of way to write sign language as we all try to participate in
>> the religious meetings either by preparing comments before hand or
>> student talks which requires some way of arranging and remembering
>> ideas so that they can be shared in sign language at a latter time....
>
> Translators have just finished writing the complete John Chapter 1 in
> SignWriting in ASL... I will be compiling the PDF shortly...it is
> around 50 pages of SignWriting...
>
> Other books that are being translated are John Chapter 14 and
> Galatians...
>
> Have your visited this web page?
Yes, I have.  Looks like you have a good start.

> SignWriting Religious Literature
> http://www.signwriting.org/library/religion.html
>
> There are quite a number of Bible documents already on the web!
>
> In this year we hope to form an editing committee of Deaf signers to
> edit the works, so that we can actually print small books of different
> chapters...
>
> and all religious literature is welcome...from any religion...in this
> section on the web...
If only I had more time, there are so many more good things that I could
do!!!!  I don't think that I will have time to translate any full
chapters of the Bible.  We will be writing some scriptures down for
commenting.  Your comment has inspired me!!!  I think I will try and
pass a few to the computer and post theme.  You know that it is so much
harder beeing that I'm not connected.  I'll have to set up each and
every piece of vocabulary.   Hopefully I can get to doing it and publish
a few to add to the website.

--

Jonathan & Yolaine Duncan