Deaf Residential Schools in the US...

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Thu Jan 18 05:48:15 UTC 2007

:) That's great!

I do think that there is a tangental approach that could be equally
beneficial and worth considering. I think back to when I was in high
school, I had a deaf friend who was in my 11th-12th grade history
class. Because English is my first language, I had the regular
textbook. But she had the 7th grade history book instead. Naturally,
she did not get the same things out of the class that I could even with
an interpreter. I don't think it was her fault.

If curriculum for a specific course (history, math, etc.) can be
developed in ASL at appropriate grade levels and Deaf children can be
shown to learn equal or superior to their hearing peers using that
curriculum, that might be equally helpful. Of course, we may have to
settle for a comparison of traditional Deaf Ed approach versus using SW
curriculum to show improved learning between the two Deaf test groups.
I suppose it would depend on the project and how it is set up and the
willingness of the school or parents.

That process may also help us understand presentation issues as well.
Fact of the matter probably is that presentation will be equally
important as content, and that will be something new that will need to
be considered since we will have to consider how the presentation of
written material will intersect with the way sign languages naturally
use directionality. For example, in English, we say, "See Figure 3 for
a chart of English Kings."  If I write it in ASL, should my Signwriting
point to the physical location of Figure 3 or what? There may be other
related issues that could come up. So, even those factors could impact
the effectiveness of written materials.

Just some thoughts to throw out. :-)

Stuart