Deaf Residential Schools in the US...

Shane Gilchrist O hEorpa shane.gilchrist.oheorpa at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 18 09:31:49 UTC 2007

yeah, the real bother here is that in deaf education (at least in the
North America and IONA (Islands of North Atlantic aka the UK and
Ireland) is to achieve good written English (and in some parts, good
spoken English)

That is something we need to focus on - of course English is important
but its important to have fluent sign language FIRST - the
Oralists/Pro-English campaigners have now entered the next stage -
they say they support NISL/ISL/BSL/ASL as long as English is taught
FIRST (which we disagree - we want NISL taught first, English
afterwards) - but its good to know that they are now accomodating
(they dont have much choice anyway as pure oralism is now seen as a
severe form of human abuse and in breach of childrens' protection laws
in many countries now)

Stuart is right - we do need to work on a 'campaigning pack' - to
explain why SW should be used - it would be useful.

Val, maybe you can set up a campaigning subcommittee and ask people to
join the Subcommittee to look at how we can promote SW better in the
educational policy, blingualism, legal complications etc - im sure
Stuart is also interested in getting involved etc.

What do you think?

Shane