itsy bitsy spider 2 again

CWren at DOE.K12.GA.US CWren at DOE.K12.GA.US
Wed Jan 24 20:54:53 UTC 2007

Andre, I am a right handed signer, I use my right hand as dominant for the
vast majority of my signs.  The exceptions being some classifiers, where
things are set up to the left, or the left hand has to be used to keep
your hands from getting tangled when creating a visual description of
physical space. Its not that I am switching dominance...  When I
originally made this translation, everything followed from the description
of the roof, gutter, and downspout, which I happened to sign to my left.
The position of the spider, and his movements was directly related to the
position of the downspout.  This whole thing is mostly classifiers, very
few actual 'signs' in it!   I suppose I could re-arrange things so that
the gutter and downspout were on the right...      then certain other
signs, notably the rain flowing down the roof, would have to be signed
left handed...  Let me play with it...  ::grin::

cherie

---------------------------------
Cherie Wren
GSD Staff Interpreter
232 Perry Farm Rd
Cave Spring, GA 30124
706-777-2328
706-766-0766 Cell

This message and any included attachments are from the Georgia School for
the Deaf and are intended only for the addressee(s). The information
contained herein may include privileged or otherwise confidential
information. If you have received this message in error, please contact
the sender immediately, and delete it from your system.

"Gagnon & thibeault" <atg at videotron.ca>
Sent by: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
01/24/2007 02:10 PM
Please respond to
sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu, sutton at signwriting.org
cc

Subject
RE: [sw-l] itsy bitsy spider 2 again

Hi Cherie,

       You use the left strong (active) hand in your story.  Look at the
third column (AGAIN): You use the right strong (active) hand and the left
weak (passive) hand.  You are  supposed to use the left strong (active)
hand and the right weak (passive) hand.  If the signer uses alternative
hands, the Deaf community does not like them and the signer could be
criticized.  For example: President King Jordan of Gallaudet University
used the two alternative hands which bothered the Deaf community because
it was confusing or uncomfortable to the eyelistener.

       WAVE-HAND

       André