SignWriting Article

Gagnon & thibeault atg at VIDEOTRON.CA
Tue Jan 30 15:21:09 UTC 2007

Hi Sergio,

Bilingualism refers to proficiency in two languages. For example, an
individual might have proficiency in two spoken languages such as English
and French (Canada), or in a spoken language and a sign language such as
French and LSQ.  It involves a degre of proficiency in various modes of two
languages such as speaking and signing, or reading and writing.

      There are four different functions of the modes of the two languages.
Medias (videos, CD-ROMs, DVDs...) only use speaking or signing while
children just listen or eyelisten.  Medias with closed captions use reading
while Deaf children read with the closed captions for voice or listen for
signing and read with the closed captions at the same time.  Deaf children
have difficulty to observe, analyse, compare and review learning between two
languages.  SW (Sign Writing) books, SW newspapers, SW magazines
. use
reading.  Deaf children can easily observe, analyse, compare between a
written form and a SW form.  SW papers, SW computers... use writing.  Deaf
children can think, review, edit and publish final papers for the writing
process.  If Deaf children only produce their signs of story without Sign
Writing for medias like videocameras and videotapes
  They must remember
everything and practice several times. They have difficulty to review, edit
and publish final videotapes.  They do not learn the writing process, but
they do learn the signing process.

As concerns the medias (technology) and SWs, I think that Sandy F
from UK
can answer your questions better than I.  And I hope that she is happy to
help.     (continued
.)

Regards

      André