Rewriting Title of Cat in the Hat

CWren at DOE.K12.GA.US CWren at DOE.K12.GA.US
Tue Jul 3 19:05:14 UTC 2007

Fingerspelling of a title is Gramatically correct ASL.  The signing of it,
'Cat with a wide-brimmed tall hat' is more along the lines of assigning a
name-sign.  The facial expressions in the title section aren't really
grammatically necessary.  While I describe the hat, I do have something
that isn't a smile, but isn't a flat-line mouth either--  I'm not sure
which symbol I would use to write it.

---------------------------------
Cherie Wren
GSD Staff Interpreter
232 Perry Farm Rd
Cave Spring, GA 30124
706-777-2328
706-766-0766 Cell

This message and any included attachments are from the Georgia School for
the Deaf and are intended only for the addressee(s). The information
contained herein may include privileged or otherwise confidential
information. If you have received this message in error, please contact
the sender immediately, and delete it from your system.

"Valerie Sutton" <signwriting at MAC.COM>
Sent by: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
07/03/2007 02:44 PM
Please respond to
sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
cc

Subject
[sw-l] Rewriting Title of Cat in the Hat

SignWriting List
July 3, 2007

Cherie -
Regarding the title. Can you write it again with the facial
expressions you used for placing the hat on the head and then lifting
it? You seemed to press the lips together with a hidden smile, and
there looks like maybe some air in the cheeks? And maybe a little
body movement? And what are the eyebrows doing? Are they important to
ASL grammar?

The title is so important to be pleasant and appealing so that
readers want to read it, plus it needs to be clearly a title so you
can differentiate it from the rest of the document. Maybe the sign
for QUOTE in the front of the title?(...even though you did not sign
it on the video..). Like some of our other documents?

The fingerspelling part...I realize you mouthed the words...I
personally do not care about the fingerspelling part of the title and
if I were the only editor (grin) I personally would only use the
whole ASL signs for the title and forget the fingerspelling of Cat in
the Hat...of course "by Dr. Seuss" has to remain in fingerspelling I
realize...

And the letter H in fingerspelling is usually written in a
standardized way with the fingers pointing directly side...I know you
signed it the way you wrote it...so the question of writing
standardized fingerspelling is something we need to discuss...maybe
that doesn't matter?

Here is a screen capture of your current title: