wrist flex versus rotation

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sun Jul 8 07:11:34 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
July 7, 2007

On Jul 7, 2007, at 8:55 PM, Adam Frost wrote:
> Right. Which is where the confusion comes in. The definition of the
> rotation symbol is that the arm and hand are on the same line. The
> sign for wow is not. Therefore it can not correctly use the
> rotation symbol even if the arm does rotate. So the only other
> options are to use the general traveling arrow or the wrist flex.
> But you are saying that it isn't a wrist flex, which mean we are
> only left with the general travel arrows.
> Adam

Charles and Everyone -
Adam is correct here. Adam is explaining how SignWriting defines
these symbols. Your human body can probably rotate and flex at the
same time in the sign for WOW, Charles, and that is fine.......but we
do not have a symbol in SignWriting that records that kind of
rotation, and we do not need a new symbol, because we can write the
sign for WOW right now, in a variety of ways...

Here are two of them. These are not my writings, but I have seen
others write the sign for WOW like this, so I just added them to
SignPuddle....The first is not a wrist flex, and the second one is a
Wrist Flex...people do sign this sign differently, and some people do
feel it is a Wrist Flex, as do I...