Writing turning a doorknob

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Mon Jul 9 18:05:23 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
July 9, 2007

On Jul 9, 2007, at 5:18 AM, CWren at doe.k12.ga.us wrote:
> I'm trying to root around in my head to see if there is any sign
> that might be an 'exception' but right now, I can't think of one.
> Wait a minute... turning a doorknob--  how would you write that?

Of course, people can turn doorknobs in different ways. So there may
be exceptions to this depending on one's anatomy...

But I personally write turning a doorknob as a Rotisserie Movement,
because even though the wrist may be flexed because the hand is
holding the doorknob, the movement is not from the wrist joint (when
I do it anyway). The wrist joint when I do it, is locked in its
position, and the wrist joint itself remains solid, while the
Rotisserie Movement occurs...

So if the Rotisserie pole is bent at the end, it is still a solid
pole, because the wrist is locked. The whole arm-wrist-hand as a
unit, rotates to turn the doorknob...