bent rake

CWren at DOE.K12.GA.US CWren at DOE.K12.GA.US
Tue Jul 10 17:06:17 UTC 2007

It does bend at the wrist.  There is ALSO rotation, but if I understand
right (sigh), that doesn't matter, you just write the wrist flex?

cherie

---------------------------------
Cherie Wren
GSD Staff Interpreter
232 Perry Farm Rd
Cave Spring, GA 30124
706-777-2328
706-766-0766 Cell

This message and any included attachments are from the Georgia School for
the Deaf and are intended only for the addressee(s). The information
contained herein may include privileged or otherwise confidential
information. If you have received this message in error, please contact
the sender immediately, and delete it from your system.

"Valerie Sutton" <signwriting at MAC.COM>
Sent by: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
07/10/2007 11:57 AM
Please respond to
sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

"List SignWriting" <sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu>
cc

Subject
Re: [sw-l] bent rake

SignWriting List
July 10, 2007

On Jul 10, 2007, at 8:15 AM, CWren at doe.k12.ga.us wrote:
> I truly don't mean to stir the puddin'....  but I need help with
> this sign.  I am seeing it as a wrist flex AND a rotation, but
> well, we all know now how I see things just a little off...  I will
> just write starting and ending positions for now, but what do you
> think the movement is for this sign?

That is ok. I am glad to have your questions, just as long as I have
time to answer all your questions at a steady and relaxed
pace...without feeling like there is a stress to answer too quickly...

Just go on writing other signs, if my answers are slow in coming ;-)

The answers will come sooner or later! And we can always re-visit
issues and signs later, after the whole first draft is written...It
is exciting to see all you are accomplishing!

Now...regarding the bent rake...

Is the WRIST LOCKED IN PLACE? or is the WRIST UNLOCKED, and there is
real movement from the Wrist Joint?

If the wrist is locked, then it is a Rotisserie Symbol.

If it is unlocked at all, then the Wrist Symbol is used.

If a movement is BOTH, then it has to be written with a Wrist
Movement Symbol, because that means the wrist has to be unlocked
because how else could it move too?...

So the sign for BENT RAKE, to me at least, watching the video,
appears to bend at the wrist. The wrist is unlocked. I therefore
would write it with a Wrist Movement Symbol.

The question is always "LOCKED? or "UNLOCKED"?