Role shifting

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Tue Jul 10 18:04:44 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
July 10, 2007

Hello Adam and Cherie!
I noticed the Unit Lines that you wrote Adam, and actually was
planning to bring that up later ;-))

Of course it is great you bring the subject up...

Unit Lines are used for research documents that are trying to show
the influence of one symbol on another...and I did use them myself in
slightly different ways over the years...they actually stem from
DanceWriting that uses music...and because of that, they do not
really look like the rest of SignWriting for everyday use...

When we try to bring the writing system from the research lab, into
the everyday reading library for signers, I think the Unit Line does
not look like a writing system, but instead a notation system...and I
choose not to use it.

So for detailed work, of course the Unit Lines can continue to be
used, but I personally vote to not use them for Deaf children in the
Cat in the Hat...

So of course that leaves the question...then how do we write role
shifting without them?...

I believe there are ways already developed to do it, although it will
start one more big conversation here on the List, and I am not sure
my health can handle too much stress right now...but if we can take
it slowly...I am happy to engage...

Val ;-)