Reflexions on wrist flexes and rotations

K.J. Boal kjoanne403 at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 11 17:37:47 UTC 2007

Hi Jonathan,  The arrows are the same for the thumb and the pinky.  I would say, think INWARD or OUTWARD rotation; that works better for me.  Whether the arrow follows the thumb or the pinky will be obvious from the handshape.  That's been my experience with reading and writing these rotations, anyway.KJDate: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 08:01:18 -0600From: duncanjonathan at yahoo.caTo: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.eduSubject: Re: [sw-l] Reflexions on wrist flexes and rotations

Hi Adam,
    Your explanation is very clear.  Thank you for explaining this to
me.
    Just one more question.  Which arrow is for the thumb and which is
for the pinky?  What if the hand is pointing down instead of up like in
your examples?  Or should I be more preoccupied if it is an inward or
outward rotation rather than thumb or pinky rotation?

Jonathan

Adam Frost wrote:
Hello Jonathan,

  On 7/8/07, Jonathan
<duncanjonathan at yahoo.ca>
wrote:
>The rotation arrow can either represent the curve of the thumb
movement around the axis-line or the curve of the baby finger movement
>around the axis-line. (I don't know how to distinguish the
two,
could someone please help)

This is a hard one to understand because there isn't a clean
distinction. It goes by the feel of what is leading the movement, the
pinky or the thumb. Maybe this will help a little. When you are doing a
rotation, imagine that you have to keep either the pinky or the thumb
still. It will always be one or the other. Ok, and example. In ASL the
flat hand is used to show the door. Now a door can open inward or
outward. I have written those two. Notice which is leading, the thumb
or the pinky. Notice that it can not be the other way around because
one side of the door is on a hinge. ;-) I hope this helps. If you need
more clarification, just ask. :-)

Adam

Discover the new Windows Vista