multiple faces, changing eye gaze

CWren at DOE.K12.GA.US CWren at DOE.K12.GA.US
Thu Jul 12 18:35:57 UTC 2007

[[ Also, in English we use words like "as", "while", "after", etc. to give
a meaning of time.  These words have no meaning apart from the rest of the
sentence.  Could signwriting do the same?  Do we have a sign for "as" that
could be used with the face to indicate that one look, not associated with
the sign itself is being given during the sign?]]

Sign language uses less 'function words' (as, while, is, on, etc.) and
SHOWS the functionality in the motion of the sign.  The problem is showing
three (four!) dimensional information in a two dimensional medium.  During
the production of the sign (an individual 'word'), I look down, and then
up.  With the symbols we currently have, that is two different symbols
that cannot share the same space on a page, (like an eyegaze and a mouth
movement could.)  The problem is -within the word-  I have to show that
information.  They are part of this word.  " These words have no meaning
apart from the rest of the sentence."    They are words in the sentence,
though, and carry that functionality.  In ASL, they are not (in this case)
words in a sentence, they are parts of an individual word.  The problem
is, I have been using multiple facial circles all thru this thing.  I have
been putting them vertically, showing (in my mind) simultaneity.  Since
this instance wasn't simultaneous, I went with horizontal, ending up with
three faces in a triangle.   It looked odd, and made me question it....
::grin::

---------------------------------
Cherie Wren
GSD Staff Interpreter
232 Perry Farm Rd
Cave Spring, GA 30124
706-777-2328
706-766-0766 Cell

This message and any included attachments are from the Georgia School for
the Deaf and are intended only for the addressee(s). The information
contained herein may include privileged or otherwise confidential
information. If you have received this message in error, please contact
the sender immediately, and delete it from your system.

"Bill Reese" <wreese01 at TAMPABAY.RR.COM>
Sent by: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
07/12/2007 02:05 PM
Please respond to
sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
cc

Subject
Re: [sw-l] multiple faces, changing eye gaze

In English, we might say "As she was opening the box she turned to the
audience with an expression that said, "Look!"."   Are we into grammar
here?  Could a sign conceivably have "grammatical space" where things like
this could be put?  For instance, could the face be smaller to give it a
certain meaning?  Also, in English we use words like "as", "while",
"after", etc. to give a meaning of time.  These words have no meaning
apart from the rest of the sentence.  Could signwriting do the same?  Do
we have a sign for "as" that could be used with the face to indicate that
one look, not associated with the sign itself is being given during the
sign?  Could we even give meaning to the expression so that we could put
the face apart from the rest of the sign, perhaps a bit smaller with the
sign for "look!" in parenthesis next to the face?

Bill

Valerie Sutton wrote:
I believe I found the sign on the video that coordinates with this
writing...It is attached.

I believe you are trying to show, with the double eye-gaze, that you first
look down at your hands down-diagonal, and then turn to look at the
audience and that is the eyegaze forward? And the question is...what about
the timing of those head movements and eyegaze, since one happens after
the other? I need time to think about this one ;-))

Any ideas anyone? Val ;-)