SWML

rocha at ATLAS.UCPEL.TCHE.BR rocha at ATLAS.UCPEL.TCHE.BR
Sun Jun 3 14:53:26 UTC 2007

Dear Sandy,

  I think you spotted an important aspect: SWML, in the various dialects
in which it evolved, is a format for the lowest of the various levels in
which texts may be represented, namely, a sequence of symbols. I would
call all of them "SWML level 0".

  Higher-levels of text representation are possible, and I think should be
defined, in order for higher-level processing be feasible, including
input-output of texts (as you mentioned), other kinds of dictionary
searches (based on linguistic features like morphology or semantics, for
instance), and automatic translation (between different sign languages,
and between sign and oral languages).

  The reason the original SWML format was much more complicated then the
versions that appeared later is that those later versions were optimized
for the particular applications and programs in which they were to be
used.

  The original SWML format was defined as a level 0 representation for
signs and sign texts, assuming that higher levels would be defined,
which would possibly require a very detailed identification of each
feature of the lower level.

  Unfortunately, those higher level SWML formats were never defined, so
the complexity of the original format looked unecessary for everybody.

  But I think that there should be no essential conflict between a
operational description of how programs should operate with sign texts,
like you are considering, and a declarative description as SWML is able
to give. I think they are complementary and both necessary.

  All the best,

  Antônio Carlos

  All the best,

  Antônio Carlos