Functionality needed to open up the SignWriting dictionaries

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sun Jun 3 20:48:22 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
June 3, 2007

Hello Gerard! and everyone ;-)

Thank you for this message. I remember you joined the SignWriting
List under the Digest Mode. Unfortunately the Digest Mode has not
been programmed to show the graphics that we attach to our email
messages all the time. I would love to show you some of the ASL
definitions that we are writing, not only on the web, but also in
email, but I suddenly realized you would not be able to see the
attached graphic if I answered this email with a graphic attached...

So if you want to see the SignWriting we are posting all the time,
then you can switch to Normal Mail mode, by going to:

http://majordomo.valenciacc.edu/cgi-bin/majordomo

and checking the box for sw-l

smile...

Anyway...your OmegaWiki project is a very exciting project. Why do
you need pictures? Why not link to the sign with it's definition
already written in SignPuddle 1.5?

In SignPuddle 1.5 we do have a place for spoken language definitions
and also definitions written in signed languages about signed
languages...

For example, if you search for the sign for "1" in the ASL SignPuddle:

http://www.signbank.org/SignPuddle1.5/searchword.php?
ui=1&sgn=4&sid=4048,130&search=1&type=any

You will see the sign for "1" and written below it, is the definition
in ASL, describing what the ASL sign means in ASL...see attached.
These ASL definitions are written by Adam Frost, using SignText. The
definition is the SignWriting below the sign, that is in the vertical
column...like a paragraph in ASL about the sign-entry.