Any objection to the OFL?

Bill Reese wreese01 at TAMPABAY.RR.COM
Wed Jun 6 17:50:49 UTC 2007

Steve,

It's my understanding that fonts aren't the characters of an alphabet or
script - they're stylistic representations of those characters.  It's
conceivable that someone could create a font of SignWriting that gives
it a specific style - such as "Arial" or "Times Romans".  There seems to
be no question that anyone creating one should have the right to assign
whatever license they want to that font - just as they do with other
alphabets and scripts.  I believe the question then becomes, if the OFL
is used to assign a license to the characters of an alphabet or script,
regardless of style, would it then need to be assigned to all other
alphabets or scripts, such as Latin, Cyrillic, Hiragana, Chinese, etc.?

It would seem that SignWriting should be in the same class as those.
SignWriting is used to create written forms of established natural
languages the same way Latin characters have been used to create written
forms of other established natural languages in the last 70 years or so.

Bill