Vals report...ISWA, SW Literature, Skype, videophones

Mon Jun 25 04:41:52 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
June 24, 2007

Hello Kelly Jo and Everyone!

Thanks for this message...

K.J. Boal wrote:
> I haven't been doing much online lately, sorry I haven't kept you
> updated!  Yes, I did recently install Skype (can we set a time to
> chat so I can see how it works sometime, Val?) and yes, I do own a
> PocketPuddle.  Thanks for the fix info, Adam!

That's fine. I have been busy working on the ISWA symbols in June.
The List has been quiet, so it is a good time for me to work on the
ISWA. I completed all the white palms and all the white arrowheads.
That was a BIG job that had been bugging me for a long time...a job
that had not gotten done for over a year...maybe several years...but
i finished that two days ago...Now I am starting to add the Ethiopian
Handshapes that we need to write Ethiopian Sign Language...You can
follow my progress a little on the web, as I post the new handshapes:

SignWriting in Ethiopia
http://www.signwriting.org/ethiopia

It involves adding around 10 new handshapes, plus two others from
Italian Sign Language. Then there are a few Movement Symbols that can
be improved, with different sizes of Movement Arrows etc...and then
the ISWA 1.0 will be posted on the web under the OFL License. I
believe this work will take all summer behind the scenes and maybe by
September the ISWA will be ready to be installed into existing
software...

And it is June and some people are traveling...I hope everyone is
enjoying June!!

I am glad you have Skype, Kelly Jo!

I am going to try to be on Skype more often now if possible...As you
know, my Skype name is: valeriesutton

I experienced my first Skype video conference around 10 days ago with
a research group in Europe. Both Steve and I were in the conference
and it was an amazing experience...

So maybe a group of you from SIL will want to meet with me?...or one
at a time...doesn't matter!

So to use Skype, just turn it on and try to call me...I will be on
Skype Monday morning California time 9:00am to 11:00am.

> I've been in North Dakota for two weeks now, taking the Literacy
> Megacourse offered through SIL.  I've been having some computer
> problems (losing access privileges to my saved documents), so
> between my schoolwork and trying to figure out how to fix that,
> I've been pretty busy!  Speaking of which, it's 10:30 here and I
> still have one more reading assignment to do... just taking a short
> break!

Hope you are enjoying your course!

Have you lost access privileges in SignPuddle 1.5? Or are talking
about other software? If it is SignPuddle 1.5, let me try to help you
with that...maybe on Skype you can explain to me what happened...

> Looking forward to your comments when you get time, Val... I did go
> in and fix up one of the earlier pages, but I haven't done all the
> modifications Adam's suggested yet... is there going to be a
> separate editing committee like the DAC, or is the List basically
> going to be the editing committee?

I am sorry I have not been able to participate until July, but it is
my plan to devote the month of July to completing several documents,
including Sleeping Beauty, the SignPuddle Reference Manual, Bible
chapters and passages, Mother Goose Rhymes and so forth...

And thank you, to Adam, for all your wonderful support and feedback
that you gave Kelly Jo and I have saved all your comments and
messages to look at in detail when I start putting the document
together into a true publication in July...

I would love to have more DAC members read your work, Kelly Jo, and
if Adam or Stuart or Philippe or Kevin have time in July, I will
accept...What I plan to do is to really view Darline's video
carefully and edit your work that way, of course always sharing with
you any suggestions on the writing of the signs...Once I have the
document in one piece...then I can submit the PDF to all of you for
the final editing...so one way or the other it will get done by the
end of July.

I have to submit a report to the Claire Giannini Fund by August 15th,
showing Literature we have produced this year with their funding...I
am grateful to all the writers this year...I hope to submit Sleeping
Beauty, and Cherie Wren's collections of writings, and some Bible
passages and so forth...

> Looking forward to hearing from you soon... I wasn't sure for a
> while there whether the List was being blocked by the University's
> firewall, but I guess people've just been busy.  At least, I
> haven't been getting many messages lately...

Some people have written to me privately lately...and then people are
away too...

I am also spending more time on the phone now, because of Skype...and
I have had several videophone conferences too...

Sometimes I think we all need a little down time!

So tomorrow morning (Monday morning) I will be on Skype from 9:00 to
11:00...Look forward to seeing or hearing from you there!

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting
Read & Write Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org

2. SignBank
Create Sign Language Databases
http://www.SignBank.org

3. SignPuddle
Online Sign Language Community
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle

4. SignWriting List
Technical Support: Ask questions to the List

5. DanceWriting
Read & Write Dance Movement
http://www.DanceWriting.org

6. MovementWriting