Handshapes of a Korean Signer

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jun 27 00:41:11 UTC 2007

I guess we'll have to wait for IMWA-2 (smile).  One can draw either one, one just can't put it on system yet.

Jason Hopkins <codenosher at YAHOO.COM> wrote: I think the first is very, but our index finger needs to be hooked, too.

The second is also close, but we would not be touching the thumb.

We thought about the last one, too, but decided it shows the fingers flexed where ours are extended.

By the way, in the past I was able to find an Ethiopian fingerspelling chart with drawn hands.  I can't seem to find one any more.  Do you know where I could download one?

----- Original Message ----
From: Charles Butler <chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM>
To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 6:41:53 PM
Subject: Re: [sw-l] Handshapes of a  Korean Signer

Both of those I think we have as they sound like some Ethiopian handshapes.

See if these work for you.

Jason Hopkins <codenosher at YAHOO.COM> wrote: I'm taking SIL classes at the University of North Dakota for the summer.  I had a project to gather and document a word list from a native signer from South Korea.  My team ran across two handshapes we cannot find.

 The first you can make the shape by extending all your fingers on one hand, then draw the tips together to form a circle, but don't  touch.  It is like holding a golf ball with your just your finger tips while keeping the fingers extended, but flexed at the proximal Knuckle.

 The other is like having your hand cupped with these adjustments: the thumb is spread from the palm, the pinky is fully flexed with it's tip touching the palm, the ring is a bit lest flexed, the middle even less, and the index is hooked but not extended.  If you pretend you are holding a stop watch you'll probably have it.

Any suggestions as to what hand shape to use?  What other info do you need?

-Jason

Need Mail bonding?

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.