Handwriting of British Sign Language

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sun Mar 11 21:21:26 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
March 11, 2007

Hello Everyone and Sandy -
I look forward to working with you more on your work, Sandy...later
after the conference...wish you could come to the conference!

To give you immediate feedback on your writing by hand...I can see
much time and effort has been focused on writing and that is a
privilege for me to see that! Thank you for sharing it with us...(see
attached)...

When I look at your linear writing, I see the way we wrote back in
1982 in Denmark...the reason SignWriting looks as it does now...the
reason that we write in visual units or clusters...is we learned
through decades of experience that linear writing cannot capture the
grammar of signed languages, so you are throwing out grammar points
that are very important...but I understand where you are coming from,
since I was there once myself... That is the way we started...

Take a look at this writing from Denmark in 1982...Don't you think
that it looks a little like your writing?

Danish SignWriting 1982
http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/cursive/byhand1.html

Whenever I see linear SignWriting I think of the early 1980's when we
wrote like that...and I also guess that the writer is probably
hearing or at least new to Sign Language or SignWriting...like I was
back in the 1980's!

The reason that literature in SignWriting is written vertically is
that it is natural for Deaf and skilled signers to read the human
body vertically. Hands naturally fall below the head, and the
movement up and down from the head to the chest naturally flows down
and up and so the vertical writing is just an extension of the way
signing really occurs in real life...

When I sit down and read SignWriting...like a children's story, or
the Bible passages, I read it like i would read any other book in
spoken language...I think in Sign Language as I read...or should I
say...I think in the visual movements I see jump out at me, from the
page...and those visual movements are based on a vertical body...and
so reading is faster when the writing is vertical...

Did you know that we have one novel written in SignWriting? It is in
Madrid Sign Language...In time I hope we will have thick books
written in BSL and ASL too, and when that happens, if the writing is
vertical, it will be read with more ease by skilled signers...

But I know you know this, because your poetry is written vertically...

Poetry in British Sign Language
http://www.signwriting.org/uk/GB07.html

So maybe you are just playing with new ideas for your software?...so
let's talk more in April about it...remind me!

Val ;-)