Arm Lines

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Tue May 1 23:41:21 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
May 1, 2007

Charles Butler wrote:
> I don't seem to be able to get big enough upper arms and forearms
> in the Sign Puddle that are clearly identified as upper arms and
> forearms by the click and point method.  How does this look.  This
> way one knows where the action is happening by the arm locator, and
> then the handshape moves as appropriate.
>

> KJNameSign

--------

Hello Charles, Adam and Everyone -
Thank you for this question regarding arm lines...

The Location Markers for the limbs (the arm line connected to the
shoulder with a marker on the arm line showing the place of contact)
are used when we are determining the SignSpelling Sequence for
sorting in dictionaries...I know you have seen and used other
Location Markers for the chest too, for example...but all of these
Location Markers are not written with, inside the signs themselves,
but are instead used for added information in spellings, for detailed
look-ups for linguistic work etc...continued next message...