SVG and Unicode

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu May 3 16:56:47 UTC 2007

I am curious as to why XY coordinates would not be well received with the Korean alphabet and its construction of words included in the corpus.  That writing system requires every letter having its forms and space locatives available.

Arabian script has endings that have to be attached or moved depending on the appearance of the word.

When one works with Chinese, if one were working with the 32 possible brush strokes to construct a new symbol, one needs XY coordinates.

Same thing for Cree, apparently based on Gregg shorthand.

Charles Butler

Stuart Thiessen <sw at passitonservices.org> wrote: See my comments below ...

Stuart

On May 1, 2007, at 9:10, Steve Slevinski wrote:

> Unicode
> -----------------------
> MovementWriting in general needs a Unicode platter of 56 thousand
> symbol places.  Each symbol should get it's own space, or be
> logically combined some how.  It's going to be political to get a
> new platter opened, but the existing 256 spaces in a nearly full
> platter are not enough.

My contacts who work with non-Roman scripts assure me that there is
no problem with getting space for SignWriting. That is not the main
issuel. The biggest issue is deciding what should appear in the slots
and what should be handled by the renderer. In addition to that, we
will have to convince them of our method of rendering SignWriting
(whatever that ends up being). I strongly believe we will have to do
some unique things to make SignWriting work with Unicode compared to
the way most spoken languages are rendered in Unicode today. So that
will be a greater issue than the number of symbols. My conversations
with my contacts indicate that x/y coordinates may not be well
received. So I am exploring other alternatives to x/y coordinates for
symbol placement. Also, whether it is on existing planes or a new
plane, we will have to see what is available when our proposal is
ready. My initial efforts will be focused on SignWriting proper. But
I agree that a strong case exists for bringing in all of the Movement
writing symbols.

> Unicode and SVG
> -----------------------
> Once each symbol has a unique number, we can create font files for
> SignWriting.  We may be able to have a single font file, or we may
> need multiple font files.  Since we'll already have the SVGs
> completed, we can use the SVG style fonts.  This whole process will
> be repackaging.  There should be automated tools that can help.
> Maybe even font experts..

I believe that it should be no problem to contain all the symbols in
one font file. After all, they have font files with nearly every
writing system included that are several megabytes in size. It may be
that our font file has very minimal support for spoken languages and
only contains movement writing symbols.

Thanks,

Stuart