Sign Names

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Thu May 3 18:11:10 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
May 3, 2007

Hello Kelly Jo, Bill, Stefan, Charles, Adam, Stuart and everyone -

I am grateful you are so open to input, Kelly Jo...

There is something that has been on my mind, about standardization of
fingerspelling and handwriting that is involved with sign names that
I just want to share...

There are two worlds, when it comes to using SignWriting.

1. There is the world of accurate Movement Writing, for video
transcription and analysis, and...

2. Then there is the world of standardization and handwriting, where
you become used to writing a sign one way, even though people perform
it differently.

And the standard shortens as you write it by hand, because it is so
much work, when signing your name at the end of a handwritten letter.
Writing detailed Movement Writing falls by the wayside and is
replaced with the need for speed in reading and writing...

The writing of your sign name that you chose, Kelly Jo, looks like an
accurate writing, from a Movement Writing perspective, of what is
really happening when you sign the name. Nothing wrong with that if
you have a computer to type with...but the overhead view of symbols,
with the break in them, generally is harder to write in
handwriting...so it is used less when it comes to the standardization
of sign names and fingerspelling...

And sign names themselves are different than regular signs, when they
incorporate fingerspelling...since people read them quickly and just
seeing K and J in the standard fingerspelling, with a quick arm line,
would be enough for them to know that it is Kelly Jo, when written by
hand.

So this is just food for thought...As Stefan already pointed
out...maybe writing your sign name by hand in a row...maybe write it
ten times on paper...to see if it is easy to write by hand...that is
a good way to determine a standardized sign name...

Stefan's chart with the photos and sign names includes a section for
the handwritten version of each sign name...so maybe you can show us
your handwriting later, so we can place it in the chart next to your
picture...

And earlier in that discussion of the sign name, Adam had showed
standardized fingerspelling with an arm line...I think when it comes
to sign names, that is a realistic suggestion for others to read
quickly...

Just my thoughts...

Val ;-)