SVG version of our IMWA symbols

Sandy Fleming sandy at SCOTSTEXT.ORG
Sun May 6 07:40:41 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 15:11 -0300, machado at softwarelivre.org wrote:
> Try these: http://www.softwarelivre.org/~machado/SSS-2004svg/ or
> http://www.softwarelivre.org/~machado/SSS-2004svg.tar.gz
>

> Its full set of sss2004. By full I mean no flips or rotations. but the
> whole set.

Machado,

I spent some time playing with a few of these SVG files yesterday,
seeing how they transformed and re-styled.

I was very impressed with the way they're done entirely as outlines to
the black parts, so that what are strokes in handwriting are filled
areas on the computer. This completely solves the scaling problem I
spoke about recently!

The only thing I'd (maybe) like to see done differently is that the
internal parts of some symbols (but not others) should be white rather
than transparent. But we'd have to decide which symbols and anyway this
could be solved by programming, I should think, so it's not a problem,
just a remark.

Something I'd like to do is to take all these files and arrange them
into database form, so that the paths can be looked up from the SSS
label. This way software would be able to look up the paths from the
symbols more easily, and the user wouldn't have to download all the
files. This is a good idea, isn't it? Or do you have a way of using the
symbols in a web page directly, that I don't know about?

Sandy