SVG version of our IMWA symbols

Sun May 6 13:54:38 UTC 2007

Hi Sandy,

The SignWriting alphabet uses 3 colors: black, white and transparent.
This information needs to be part of the SVG or Image.

One standard Val and I have been using regards white palms.  Here's how
the base ten hand shape looks.  The palms are filled white as well as
the overhead line break.

Programs can not figure this out properly.

The current IMWA does not have all of the palms filled.  This should be
fixed with the International SignWriting Alphabet when they are
renumbered and redone in SVG.  I think the contact symbols need to be
renumbered... along with some other.

The center of each symbol also need to be know for rotation.  SignPuddle
doesn't rotate properly.

I can see how a single SVG file could contain information all 96
handshapes and variations.  (To reduce the number of files, I'm
currently packing all 96 pngs into one file as well).

I'm guessing the SVG would need to know.

Base handshape: square
Finger strokes: thumb
Palm area: solid white square
Half filled area: black rectangle
Overhead line break: thick white line
Center of symbol: palm's center?

With this information, we could build any of the 96 variations to any
scale.  Printing with the "I SW A" in SVG format is going to be great...

This could open all kinds of SignMaker improvements.  Instead of writing
with the Build Format and the SSS id numbers, we could write in SVG.

However with proper writing in lanes, additional complications are
added.  For each sign we need to know the head's center of a sign.  This
information will need to be included in a signs SVG data.

Fun stuff.  I like the editor ideas.
-Steve