SVG version of our IMWA symbols

Sandy Fleming sandy at SCOTSTEXT.ORG
Sun May 13 17:40:21 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-05-12 at 10:15 -0700, Valerie Sutton wrote:

> But for SignWriting Facial Expressions...it would be a problem
> because I often write eyebrows combined with the mouth movements

Yes, of course the faces could be spaced so that if a feature is drawn,
it should be shown - again not difficult either for computers or
scribes. But I think the compact version as I drew it would be by far
the most frequent because you can see the whole of the first face, and
the expression generally doesn't change just in the course of a single
lip pattern. Not in my experience, anyway!

I think also we'll need mouthings that don't occur in the related oral
languages. For example, in the "lum" mouthing of BSL the "l" tends to be
make with the tongue on the upper lip where it can be seen, rather than
behind the teeth as in English, where it can't be seen. I think so,
anyway?

Sandy