Mundbildschrift and Mundbild ;-)

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Mon May 14 04:28:55 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
May 13, 2007

Hi Stuart!
Woehrmann's SpeechWriting System has been used to write the details
of German speech, (both the seen and unseen parts of speech), and has
been taught to Deaf students in Stefan's class for several
years...maybe 5 years? Is that right Stefan?

Stefan's students are also signing in class...so his classroom is not
oral like the others in his school...

I do not know if other spoken languages have tried SpeechWriting
yet...So far it seems to work well for German! ;-)

I saw a German TV program...a full half hour show...where German TV
crews came in and taped Deaf kids reading the SpeechWriting System in
their class, and it was very impressive.

First, the kids in Stefan's class seemed to be signers. Sign Language
was prominent in their classroom.

Second, they used SignWriting for reading signs...Using SignWriter
DOS! (this was before SignPuddle ;-) Stefan typed with SignWriter DOS
in front of the cameras - it was great!

And then they used the SpeechWriting system for reading some spoken
German documents that Stefan had prepared for them in
SpeechWriting...as an observer, I got the feeling they really
sincerely enjoyed learning it...

...Stefan was kind enough to send me a CD of that TV program and I
hope someday to telephone the TV station to get permission to show it
to others...

Anyway, SpeechWriting is not a part of SignWriting...it is another
subject.

Of course SignWriting records the movement of the mouth...but is not
the same as SpeechWriting..

And this list is about SignWriting ;-)

I will leave the details of the IPA to others...

But at least you now know that SignWriting mouth movement writing is
not the same as SpeechWriting, which has a different purpose...