Mundbildschrift and Mundbild ;-)

K.J. Boal kjoanne403 at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon May 14 17:02:42 UTC 2007

>From: "Sandy Fleming" <sandy at scotstext.org>
>To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
>Subject: RE: [sw-l] Mundbildschrift and Mundbild ;-)
>Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 17:50:23 +0100
>
>On Sun, 2007-05-13 at 22:32 -0600, K.J. Boal wrote:
>
> > I believe I read somewhere that Alexander Graham Bell had actually
>developed
> > a SpeechWriting type of system, where anyone could look at it and see
>how
> > the mouth, tongue, nose and even throat worked together to produce
>sounds.
> > The story goes (if I remember correctly) that he demonstrated this
>system at
> > some kind of Exhibition; he left the stage while his assistant wrote
>several
> > suggestions from the audience.  When he came back on stage, he easily
>read
> > the first few sentences, but he couldn't make sense of the last one.  He
> > started to read the sounds, even though he didn't know what he was
>doing...
> > and did a perfect impression of wood being sawn!
>
>I read somewhere a long time ago that a lot of people were interested in
>AGB's system and tried to learn it from printed materials but only a
>very few who managed to get personal tuition from AGB himself were able
>to make any progress in learning it.
>
>Far too complicated or just badly documented? I don't know.
>
>As for "sawing wood"-style anecdotes, I imagine that even if AGB's
>rendering only reproduced the original sound very crudely it would be
>enough to wow the audience, and from then on the story would improve in
>the telling!
>
>Sandy

Thanks for the feedback, Sandy.  I considered the possibility that it never
caught on because it was too complicated, but I still wish I could see it
for myself! :-)  Even so, now there is Woehrmann's SpeechWriting, which is
probably a lot easier to learn and use anyway - which is great!  As I
admitted before, my objections are mostly because I haven't seen enough of
it. :-)

KJ