Book "I SEE A VOICE" by Jonathan Ree

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Mon May 21 00:13:17 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
May 20, 2007

Book "I SEE A VOICE" by Jonathan Ree

I want to thank Shane Gilchrist from Belfast, who recommended that I
read the book "I SEE A VOICE" by Jonathan Ree, published in
1999....so I purchased it through Amazon.com. It is a hard-backed
book that is really excellent, describing in general, the history of
deafness, speech teaching and sign languages, mostly in European
countries and the western world in general, for the past couple of
centuries...I have not read all of it yet...it is a thick book...but
I have skimmed some of it....

The author touches upon many subjects, including Bell's Visible
Speech and Bebian's writing of signed languages. I particularly
enjoyed the chapter called "Writing Signs", pages 293-308.  No
mention of SignWriting or other systems that were developed in the
last half of the 1900's however...;-)

He did give particular focus to Roch-Amboise-Auguste Bébian, whom I
personally have always admired, bearing so many frustrations while
working as a teacher and writer with Deaf people in France in the
early 1800s...Bebian fought against oralism and felt that signed
languages deserved to be written...

Roch-Amboise-Auguste Bébian
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02379a.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roch-Amboise-Auguste_Bébian

Ree started with discussing the writing of dance and gesture,
including the Feuillet system from France, which was a dance notation
system...and the Austin system, which is similar to an Israeli
movement notation system called the Eshkol-Wachmann System...I was
fortunate enough to meet Noa Eshkol in Israel in 1984....but there
was no mention of the hundreds of other dance notation systems of
course...impossible to mention everything that is for sure...

He discussed the oralists and how they looked down on the idea of
writing signs, pointing out that it probably was not possible to
succeed with writing signs anyway...smile...

I hope that our modern work with SignWriting will finally bring a
real writing system to daily use...let us pray...we just have to keep
working hard everyday ;-)))

I hope Bebian is watching and smiling...many thanks to him and all
those who came before us...

And many thanks for suggesting this very fine book, Shane!