Sandy in UK: Flexible computer programming

Jonathan duncanjonathan at YAHOO.CA
Wed May 23 01:24:07 UTC 2007

Sandy Fleming wrote:
> Val,
>
> Thanks for bringing this up.
>
> The difficult part is to figure out how to make it as easy as possible
> for the typist to input it via the keyboard and mouse. As you might have
> gathered, once a symbol was typed and on display at the prototype editor
> I wrote a couple of years ago, the user could then rotate it either way,
> add more or less fill (in handshapes), or move the symbol up, down, left
> and right. These would work in fairly coarse jumps, but then by holding
> down the shift key he could do all of those things more finely.

Hi Sandy,
    I tried out your program some time ago and noticed that the rotation
and the fills are much more adjustable then what the IMWA allows for.  I
was wondering if you had thought about how you were planning to store
this "extra" information.  Are you going to use the same fill and
rotation numbers currently used in the IMWA and extend them by using
decimals or use another strategy all together?  Are you anticipating
that your program will be compatible with the SignPuddles even with
these extra features?
    The program I am working on is staying more conservative in using
strictly the IMWA.  I think that it will use the next version of the
ISWA once it is ready.  I was asking the above questions because I am
thinking about how my program could exchange information with other
SignWriting programs and thought that it would be insightful as to how
others plan on changing some of the technical details of computer
SignWriting for even better options and how this will impact sharing
documents between programs.

Jonthan

--

Jonathan & Yolaine Duncan