Programmers: license for SignWriting symbols (ISWA)

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Mon May 28 14:45:04 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
May 28, 2007

Hello Sandy and Everyone -
Thank you for taking the time to read the OFL information. And many
thanks again to Gerard, for stimulating the search for a license for
SignWriting...Some kind of a license is needed in our world today, so
this is good to face this...

Sandy...Thank you for your response below. Your reaction was the same
as mine... SignWriting is not a font. It is an alphabet. Gerard told
me it was hard to find a license already written that fits
SignWriting exactly.

For those list members reading this message and wondering what we are
talking about.....A font is more typography...like different
typefaces. We can have many different typeface designs in SignWriting
symbols just as we can have many different typeface designs in the
Roman Alphabet. Helvetica and Geneva fonts are not different
alphabets. They are the same alphabet in different typography
designs, placed on a font which can then be licensed under the OFL (I
guess)....

And even though it is true that the symbols I am putting together for
the ISWA are PNGs (at the moment) and later will become SVG, the PNGs
and SVG versions of the symbols are not SignWriting either...at least
what I had understood from people was that they wanted a license to
use the SignWriting alphabet in general...no matter what the device
used to write with...

So I wonder...Can we write our own license? I could draft a Free
SignWriting License, where I explain in detail what SignWriting is,
and specify what people can and cannot do...which will be open, I
assure you ;-))

Are we allowed to create our own license? It would encompass free use
of SignWriting PNGs, SVGs, the Sutton Fonts, SignWriter DOS and Java
source code, writing by hand, free downloading of photos and
documents on the SignWriting-related web sites, and permission to
publish using SignWriting.

I could write a first draft of this Free SignWriting License, and
post it to the SW List for feedback...

What do you think?  Val ;-)