AW: [sw-l] Birthday Party Page 4

Adam Frost icemandeaf at GMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 2 15:54:10 UTC 2007

I was refering to etymology, so we are both right. I know, we seem to contridict each other. :-)

Adam

-----Original Message-----
From: "Stefan Wöhrmann"
	<stefanwoehrmann at gebaerdenschrift.de>

Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 16:51:46
To:"'SignWriting List'" <sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu>
Subject: AW: [sw-l] Birthday Party Page 4

Hi Valerie, Adam ; Kelly and sw-list

.... this is fun!

Adam says: "... but this sign comes from the pantomime eating ice cream
inside an ice cream cone." and

Val says: "  ....it is a standardized sign that does not
mimic holding a cone.."

hm ... smile -

All I had in mind is that this is a wonderful opportunity to check the own
understanding on how to write the fist. If you visualise the cone in your
hand it should be hold in a vertical postion. Opening the fist would lead to
a flat hand fingers pointing to the side -

On the other hand - Valerie -

I am not the one in charge to discuss ASL - signs - smile - (I would never
dare - hahaha)

But I love to understand und just because anything has been documented for
decades in a given way  that does not mean that we cannot try to understand
the idea behind it. Sometimes things change.

In this case "ice cream" I followed Adams idea of performing in pantomime
the holding of an ice cone.

It is much easier though to perform the sign fluently in the "standardized"
way - and it should even be possible to eat your ice cream in this position
if there is only a little bit icecream left in the cone so that you stick
your tongue far out - smile! - and lower the cone to the horizontal level
towards the mouth.

Stefan ;-)