SignText license opinions

Rodrigo Ferreira Bagni rodbagni at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 5 22:05:17 UTC 2007

Hi Steve,
I think it is a great idea and it would be of big value for the spread of
SignWriting.

Something that I can assure you is that, probably, signtext is the only WEB
editor for sign language available today. There are some other ones but
those are desktop applications.
I have searched all the WEB and I would be surprise if there was another WEB
editor like signtext.

So if people, like me  :-), could use it to spread the idea about
signwrinting or sign language itself, it would be great.

Regarding the licenses, what do you already know about them? I mean, do you
know what you want with those licenses or do you want to know what they can
offer to you?

For instance, if you use GPL people will not be allowed to use SignText in
proprietary softwares, only on free softwares (there many other licenses
that are called GPL compatible, those are free softwares). And they will be
obliged to provide the modified code too.
Do you know that?

So, I think the first point is tell what you know or what you want or what
you do not know about the licenses themselves so we could give an opinion.

Of course, all that besides what you already mentioned in your e-mail.
Because based on your e-mail I would suggest GPL.
Something I wonder, why have you chosen GPLv2 and not GPLv3?