Cat-in-Hat: Eyegaze of a Narrator

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sat Nov 17 21:18:42 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
November 17, 2007

Adam Frost wrote:
> A thought just came to me! Is torso twist what makes it so that the
> perspective is changed? We are writing signer's perspective, so if
> the signer torso twists to the right and signs something and sees
> the back of the hand, the handshape is black even if the viewers
> see half and half? The reason I ask is because I just thought of
> this and wrote with this in mind. I got exactly what you (Val) wrote.

Yes...exactly. If we are writing the Expressive View, it means from
"the signer's perspective"...and actually Cherie was writing it that
way from the beginning...we just needed the twisting torso with each
position to make sure we knew what was happening....

It was I who confused the question by mentioning the side view to
begin with...that happened because years ago, SignWriting began from
video transcription, and back in the 1970's we were writing
everything from what we saw, which means Receptive when watching a
video...so in the old days, we would definitely have written what we
see on the video, which is the side view...

But when I tried to write that from the Expressive I realized that
Cherie was correct that we are seeing the hands from the signer's
perspective, which may mean that doing video captioning in the
Receptive may not always work well...but that issue can wait...

right now, I think it has to be from the signer's perspective as you
mention above, Adam -

Thanks for your feedback - it is always interesting to talk about
these issues ;-)