ISWA Thumb Standardization?

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sun Nov 18 03:10:26 UTC 2007

Hello Stuart -
Actually there is a way to write the finger tight against the square
for the fist, but because people seemed to be able to read the A hand
with the relaxed diagonal finger, we didn't bother to require
that...If the A hand as it is right now, is being read by people,
even if it is a relaxed version, then the correct meaning is still
coming across...just as a, b and c are pronounced a little bit
differently depending on the regional dialects etc...and a, b and c
are not writing everything truly accurately with the sound...

I guess it all depends on how much we want a perfect movement-writing
of a symbol, versus knowledge of the language in advance...

So there are not two meanings for diagonal finger lines...they mean
exactly that the finger is at a diagonal, and we were simply writing
a relaxed A rather than requiring that it be written tight against
the fist...this came about partly because with the old printers, the
thumb line blurred with the square if the line was too close to the
square so for printing reasons we needed a little space between the
line and the square so the ink would not blur! Modern printers are
better, but that is the history of that symbol...

I do not have the time right now to do that diagram for you, but it
is coming tomorrow morning! I can show you what I mean...

And no worries everyone...all is well and you are all welcome to
write as you choose -

As you know, the Parkhurst book also changed other symbols...such as
the circles, and although I understand fully why they did it, to this
day it has caused me a lot of work, and I personally feel that the
old circles were working too...so you can see that changes are made
sometimes that i never wanted myself...and once they are made, we do
have to make choices among the variations...To sort well by SSS we
need just one choice for each symbol, so the sorting is
accurate...That is why the ISWA has to make choices, not because I
want to be a dictator...

More tomorrow -

Val ;-)