terms Phonetic and Phonemic

Valerie Sutton dac at SIGNWRITING.ORG
Fri Nov 30 19:03:36 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
November 30, 2007

Hello Charles, Steve and everyone -

I really appreciate this discussion, and thank you for the really
good description below, Charles... that is one of the best
descriptions i have seen of the phonetic and phonemic nature of
SignWriting and Movement Writing...

Yes, SignWriting is an alphabet. But calling it "only phonemic" or
"only phonetic" is not accurate, just as you mentioned below
Charles...it is more complex than that...

The ISWA can be compared to the "International Phonetic Alphabet"
because it is including symbols in it that are needed for all signed
languages around the world

But later, we can go into the ISWA and choose just those symbols
needed to write one signed language, like ASL...and the symbolset
will become smaller...ASL does not use all the symbols in the iSWA,
such as the Ethiopian handshapes for example...

For those who wonder what a "chereme" is...that is a term developed
by Dr. Stokoe I believe, to mean the "phonemes" within signed
languages....so we could use the term "cheremic" instead of
"phonemic"...and that is fine too...

But no matter what, SignWriting to me is both phonetic and phonemic
in nature...as Charles explained well below...

Val ;-)