Questions from France about SignWriting

Sun Oct 21 21:35:12 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
October 21, 2007

> On Oct 21, 2007, at 2:08 PM, yaelle wrote:
>> I get some problems to be able to find some signwritings
>> (puddles ?) for the game I realize at the moment.
>> As I make an English/SignWritings version for children from 2 to 5
>> year old, (as French/English, French/Turkish, and French/
>> Signographie) I would like to find the following graphisms in
>> SignWritings : *wee wee , to eat, to drink, it hurts, thank you,
>> (to do a )pooh, hello
>>
>> *They are game which intend to make little children communicate
>> basically for their immediate needs  in the first times when they
>> enter a  foreign school  and they have no available word  at once.
>> these games allow children to share their words in their proper
>> language.  The same for  deaf children  who are now obliged to go
>> to  "earing schools" in France. The illustration jointed is from
>> the 1st level game. The signwriting will appear clearly on the
>> symbolic picture as a back ground and the couple of same pictures
>> will indicate both writings.

Hello Yaelle!
Thank you for this message. We are happy to help you.

First, have you visited SignPuddle online? Have you looked for the
signs in the French SignPuddle for French signs written in
SignWriting? Or if you prefer American or British signs, have you
looked in the American Sign Language Puddle or the British Sign
Language Puddle?

Just go to:

SignPuddle Online
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle

and then click on the country flag you want to visit...

So when you say "English" SignWritings...technically there is no such
thing. SignWriting was not developed for ASL (American Sign
Language). It was developed to write any body movement, and it is
applied to writing any signed language in the world. There are groups
of people writing signs in over 40 countries, writing 40 different
signed languages, using SignWriting symbols...

So from my point of view, it has nothing to do with English or even
ASL...

So which Sign Language do you want?...Why not French Sign Language,
since you live in France?

And finding those signs are easy enough...

For example, I just went to the French SignPuddle on the web and I
searched for bonjour and found the sign immediately...here it is: