old version of SignPuddle

Thu Oct 25 17:20:58 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
October 25, 2007

Hello Vanessa, Honza and everyone -
Thank you for this feedback...and I am glad to meet you on the
SignWriting List, Vanessa...;-)

There are several things we can do. First, Steve and I just decided
that we will disable the SignMaker part of the old SignPuddle 1.0, so
that no one can enter any new signs into the old SignPuddle 1.0 but
will still be able to look up signs, copy signs, and customize them
etc...working with only those signs that are already there...

Another idea someday is to take SignPuddle 1.0 off the web
completely, and replace it with a directory page referring the person
to the new SignPuddle 1.5.

When we first posted SignPuddle 1.5, we tried to transfer all the
current signs that were in the old SignPuddle 1.0, into the files in
SignPuddle 1.5., but there was one exception....the ASL SignPuddle
1.0 has a lot of signs that were pasted in as graphics, because they
were transferred from our old software SignWriter DOS. Before we
transferred the signs to the new SignPuddle 1.5, I tried to re-write
those, and never finished, and the result was that the ASL dictionary
in SignPuddle 1.5 is different than the ASL dictionary in 1.0...

There are a lot of mis-spellings of signs in both ASL SignPuddles, so
someday we need to have a good read-only ASL Puddle that is viewable
but not editable...we are not there yet...so for now, viewing the old
SignPuddle 1.0 without adding signs is a first step...

Do you agree?

Steve said he can do that job this week, so we will announce it when
SignMaker has been disabled in 1.0...

Meanwhile I would like to encourage all of you to always enter on
this web page:

SignPuddle 1.5 Directory
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle

grin...