Hello

Rodrigo Ferreira Bagni rodbagni at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 5 18:35:48 UTC 2007

Hello everyone,   :-)
I'm joining the list and I'd like to introduce myself.

I'm a computer scientist and I'm starting working on my MSc in the area of
human-computer interaction. My main interest is to work with accessibility
to the Deaf in the internet. Actually I haven't started yet so I still don't
know exactily what I'm going to do, but I'm studying a lot to find out. At
the moment I'm working on a project of e-Learning called TIDIA-ae  (
http://tidia-ae.incubadora.fapesp.br/portal) and I'm currently looking for
some computer programs available for the Deaf, at least one,  to try to
integrate to TIDIA. I hope I find it.

I'm joining the list because it's impossible to study something like that
and not come accross with SignWriting. Since I first found it I've got very
interested in it, and maybe I can even work with it. But for now, I'm almost
certain that the tool I find to integrate to TIDIA will work with
SignWriting. I'm looking forward to the valuable knowledge available here.
:-)

I'm not Deaf but my brother is, since a few days after he was born. He is 2
years younger than me so we grew up together. And unfortunately the medical
advices, and only medical ones, my parents were given didn't help him and
today he has many problems. He lives isolated from the world and can hardly
speak portuguese and doesn't know the Brazilian sign language.

Last semester I took a course on Deafness at the college with a professor
from Gallaudet University, and for the first time in my life I realized that
many of his problems could be caused not by meningitis but by deafness
itself and that many other people also have those problems. I think we will
never know what caused his problems.
Nevertheless I took a decision, try to help him (I've started to learn sign
language, it's a first step) and try to apply my knowledge in computers to
do something to help the Deaf, since now I know that I can't accept that
someone end up being like my brother and many others just because of "a big
problem", which is deafness, that should be no problem at all.

So I hope I can do something at the end and I'm very glad to stay in touch
with people that have already done, are doing or will do so many wonderful
things.

thanks
--
Rodrigo Ferreira Bagni