signtext editor display function not working?

Wed Aug 13 00:08:18 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
August 12, 2008

Hello Erika!
Great to hear from you again... Did you see Adam's response to you
below? It is an excellent response for anyone who is using the current
version of SignPuddle 1.5... Let me ask you...what version of SignText
are you using? Are you using an old 1.0 version that you downloaded
from years ago? Or are you writing and storing your documents online
in the current version of SignPuddle?  If you are using SignPuddle
1.5...then Adam's answer is the one you need...

There is a "Display" mode in the old SignText 1.0, where we would
bookmark our documents, and then you would have to click on the
bookmark to bring the bookmarked document into the Display field
again. But that is not inside Word, but inside the old SignText
Options page...If you have your old bookmarks, you will be able to
bring the documents back into the Display area..if you did not save
the document as a bookmark, in the old SignText 1.0 it would be
gone...If you need more help write again... Val ;-)

------

On Aug 12, 2008, at 3:08 PM, Hoffmann Erika wrote:

> Hello!
> My name is Erika Hoffmann. I'm a linguistic anthropologist who uses
> SSW in my research on Nepali Sign Language (in making transcripts,
> etc). I've had  a lot of luck making transcripts in sign text editor,
> putting the signs in display mode, and then dragging them into Word
> documents.
> However, suddenly I find that when I click Display there is just a
> blank where the sign would usually appear. Nothing can be dragged from
> the space either.
> Can anyone help with this problem? I'm hoping to use some SSW
> transcripts in a journal article (and the deadline is fast
> approaching).
> Best,
> Erika

Yes, we have seen this happen every now and then. There is a better
way of doing it so that it doesn't have to depend on the mood of
Word. ;-) When you have saved the SignText, there is a button called
"Column Maker" which will give you something that isn't all black.
 From there you can drag the columns that are there, or you can even
edit the size of the columns so that they fit the size that you would
like.

Adam