Handshape question, "Stand" and "Look"

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Dec 2 05:00:21 UTC 2008

My immediate response is to use the STRAIGHT fingers.  Not because they are exact, but precisely because they are  NOT.

The sound "A" in English has a wide variety of exact sounds, but in context we have "father", "at" and "hammer", all of which are slightly different but not enough to make a difference.

The straight fingers are quick, easy, and recognizable.  If we start putting "slightly bent" fingers everywhere we will start getting so stuck on "exact" that we lose usefulness for exactitude.

We have the IPA for exact pronunciation, we have the IMWA for writing signs, but we don't HAVE to be absolutely precise to be understood.

I'd keep the straight fingers in teaching and use walk, look, see, and dance as all the same handshape, even though the fingers have a slight bent.

Charles Butler

Valerie Sutton <signwriting at mac.com> wrote: SignWriting List
November 30, 2008

Hello Everyone and Natasha!
It is a good thing I receive both the Digest and the normal mail
version of the SignWriting List messages, or I would never have seen
this message from Natasha, pasted below. It only came into the Digest
for me, but did not come to my email box, so I guess the SW List
software, that manages all the messages, is not working perfectly...as
you know, the SW List software is managed at Valencia Community
College in Florida, and I have no control over how it is setup...But I
will write to their technicians to see if we can figure it
out...anyway...thank you, Natasha, for your message below, and I will
be happy to answer it shortly...and I hope others will also answer
it...I love the way we all chime in and give our feedback to each
other...it is a wonderful experience, isn't it, to share like this...

Val ;-)

-------

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help