AW: [sw-l] ALLIGATOR Palm Facing and Direction

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Tue Dec 2 22:28:06 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
December 2, 2008

On Dec 2, 2008, at 2:05 PM, Stefan Wöhrmann wrote:
> I wonder why you show the gaps in #1 – from my point of view there
> should be no gap because “front view” does not ask for this.
>  Just curoius – Stefan

Ha! That is a good point. Funny...we just always wrote it that way by
hand...it was so fast...

There are several symbols like this...you can see them in the Group 5
and Group 10 area...

The Front View symbols existed long before the Top View symbols were
even invented...

Essentially I guess the gaps mean "parallel to the Floor", no matter
whether it is the Top View or the Front View...but these symbols sort
of just "evolved" as we were writing, so it was not as planned as all
that...

Back in the 1980's there was no Top View...so the idea that the
"break" or "gap" means parallel with the Floor Plane...hadn't really
been established at that time...nonetheless...the attached example is
exactly the way we were writing the Front View of those symbols...that
first example looks like the writing of Alligator in 1983...

I don't know what else to say about it except that was the way things
happened...I can show you next diagram, the other Front View ones in
the ISWA...