ALLIGATOR Palm Facing and Direction

Gagnon et Thibeault atg at VIDEOTRON.CA
Wed Dec 3 05:03:04 UTC 2008

Hi Val and everyone,

    I am trying to understand between a standard rule and fingers in a real life.

    I "assume"  that if I use a standard rule (Step 1), I look at the sign (image) and fingers don't look in a real life.  I look for changing the fingers (Step 2).  Here is my attachment (SQUIRREL (ASL), LOSE (ASL) and HAMBURGER (LSQ).

    I hope that I understand what the difference is between a standard rule and fingers in a real life.  I know that there are different ways to write one sign.

    Stefan, I don't mean that writers follow a standard rule (STEP 1 and STEP 2).  You don't need it.  I mean that I am trying to understand better.  Thumb up

    Hand waving

    André

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Valerie Sutton
  To: SignWriting List
  Cc: Gagnon et Thibeault
  Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 3:32 PM
  Subject: Re: [sw-l] ALLIGATOR Palm Facing and Direction

  SignWriting List
  December 2, 2008

    On Dec 2, 2008, at 10:50 AM, Gagnon et Thibeault wrote:
       This is my writing (A) ALLIGATOR. Readers look at this sign (image) which show a black palm of the right hand is facing down and fingers of the right hand is pointing down while a white palm of the left hand is facing up and fingers of the left hand is pointing up.  I believe that readers "assume" that their palms and fingers look like in a real life (not a standard rule).  It seems to me that Val mentioned that this sign is incorrect.

  Hello Andre!
  I think your writing of ALLIGATOR is perfect! It is clear from the side view...I really like it...So please do not say that I said that was incorrect...I never said that!

  Your writing IS correct from the side view.

  There are around four ways that you can write the sign for ALLIGATOR and both of our ways are correct, depending on the viewpoint you take...

  Writing from the side view makes sense sometimes, when it is hard to write it from another point of view...

  Your writing of Alligator is fine...please see attached diagram...I hope you can see my diagrams?