Appreciating the cochlear implant

Bill Reese wreese01 at TAMPABAY.RR.COM
Sat Dec 6 21:04:13 UTC 2008

Technically, it aids hearing so it's a "hearing aid" but it's not like
previous hearing aids in that it doesn't change sound in some way to
make it better understood by a hearing impaired person.  Instead, it
delivers electrical impulses directly to the hearing nerve, bypassing
most of the auditory structures.  It does this in the cochlea, the organ
within the inner ear that does this for people who can hear.

Within the cochlea, which looks a bit like a snail shell, there's a
winding, narrowing passage through which sound travels.  Different
frequencies move hair cells at different points along that passage, with
the lower frequencies being in the wider part and the higher frequencies
further along.  These hair cells are like switches, sending electrical
impulses to the brain, which translates the impulses to an image of sound.

Depending on manufacturer, a cochlear implant inserts 16 to 22
electrodes into this passage, each terminating at different points.  A
speech processor is worn outside of the body, either on the ear, like a
hearing aid, or on the body, like the older body worn hearing aids.
This device is a mini computer that processes sound, turning it into
impulses, which are sent to a headpiece.  This headpiece is an FM
transmitter which transmits both power and signals to the internal
electronics.  The internal electronics then translates the FM signals
into the impulses which are sent to the cochlea through the electrodes.
Depending on the frequencies of the sound, different electrodes are
switched on and off, resulting in a simulation of the sound.

Bill