Appreciating the cochlear implant

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at GMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 6 22:10:43 UTC 2008

Hoi,
Valerie, thank you for your reply. I do realise that in many ways the
subject is off topic. As you know, my fascination with everything to do with
the Deaf culture started with SignWriting. This makes me probably one of a
kind. I do blog about my experiences, and I did ask the "other" mailinglist,
the one for linguists interested in sign languages, to help me understand
the cochlear implant because as I wrote, I do not appreciate it fully. I
understand that this is shared by many people, it is certainly reflected in
the status of the Wikipedia article. I would love to see better information
on this subject, a more neutral view on this subject there.

I am really grateful for the responses from the people sharing their
experience of their cochlear implant. I even got an off list replies.. As I
understand it  now, the appreciation of the cochlear implant is not
universally shared nor understood. My understanding is just that, it does
not matter materially in any way, while people who have to deal with
cochlear implants for themselves, or for their kids need the best
information. I really apreciate the first person testimonies that I have
read, I consider them a priviledge.

So thank you all. I am priviledged by getting the response that I did. For
your information, on November 29th the request for American Sign Language
was given the staus of eligible... :)
Thanks,
       Gerard