Handwriting: Horseshoe Style

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sat Dec 20 06:16:25 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
December 19, 2008

Hello Sandy!
Thank you for this message. It is fascinating to read...you have
really thought it through so well and have spent time thinking about
readability etc...it is very good information and thank you for
creating the diagrams and explaining them to us...and it sounds like
you write by hand frequently, which means that your input and examples
are based on experience...

The printed-by-computer part of SignWriting is doing really well now
and feels quite stable...but the handwriting is still new territory
for all of us....

There are different levels of handwriting too...

On the experimental level, I am really interested in the issues of
taking away the "base" or "root handshapes", when writing by
hand...because over the years, I guess because we had good stenography
experiences with the shorthand...I got used to the idea of slowly
taking the base or root of the handshape away when writing for speed,
and leaving the finger-configuration only, since it is the finger
configuration that holds the meaning most of the time...

Obviously you have to have a plain square and a plain circle for the
Fist and Circle handshapes, but when the fingers start sticking out of
those base shapes, maybe the fingers matter more than the base? I am
just throwing out this idea to you, since that is the idea that
influenced me...

Recently Andre and Adam found a web page that we had created a long
time ago and I had completely forgotten about it...I attach it here to
this message...notice how the shorthand takes the base of the V-hand
away completely, so only the formation of the two fingers are left for
the reader...the reader essentially has to assume the base is there...