Handwriting: Horseshoe Style

Sandy Fleming sandy at SCOTSTEXT.ORG
Wed Dec 24 10:13:07 UTC 2008

André,

Well, the point of the "horseshoe" method was to avoid two unnecessary
corners in the handshape and so make it faster and easier to write. The
fact that "fist" handshapes then become less symmetrical and can then be
written without forearms is just a bonus.

The "circle" hand is already round and making it less symmetrical would
probably make it harder to write. I really can't think of a solution
that's any better than just writing the forearms as is already done.

I remember Val saying some time ago that the symmetry of some handshapes
was a problem for typists: it was easy to forget which orientation was
being used while typing. What I suggested was that a small round dot or
similar mark be drawn by the software at the wrist, so as to show the
orientation. Typists would just see a slight bump at the middle of the
base of the handshape so that they'd be able to see the orientation, and
it would be part of the font, the typist wouldn't have to actually type
it and the reader would see it in every handshape. This would make the
forearms unnecessary in computer SignWriting, as you're asking.

Orientation isn't difficult to follow when handwriting so in handwriting
this wouldn't be needed, and for a few signs involving the circle hand,
the writer might want to add forearms if required for clarity.

Sandy

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help