Sign Language News from AAU, Ethiopia!

Eyasu Tamene tusaye11 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 26 17:15:33 UTC 2008

Dearest Val and the listers,

My sincear greetings and a beloved Merry Christmas from Addis to you and all
around you.

It has been quiet a long time since I got in contact with the list. However,
I have been following the listers discussion behind the scene. Val, I really
appreciate your kind patience and enthusiastic concern to the development of
SW.

My piece of information is that we, the Department of Linguistics, Addis
Ababa University have launched Ethiopia's first BA in Ethiopian Sign
Language and Deaf Culture program by having the first batch of 26 students.
20 of them are Deaf and the rest 6 are hearing students. On this occassion I
would like to present my heartfelt thanks to all who have been so much
supportive in giving us thier comment while designing the syllabus

The Department of Linguistics, Addis Ababa University, has resumed a class
on Ethiopia's first regular BA program in Ethiopian Sign Language and Deaf
Culture today Dec. 2, 2008.  Currently we have well experienced Deaf and
hearing teachers who can be capable of holding the courses. Besides, we
shall have interpreters in each class. The beginning of the program has
become an inspiration to the many people who are involving in the area. The
program has got the following as major objectives:

- To train sign language teachers who are able to teach language courses at
the secondary and tertiary level
- Train sign linguists who can conduct research in Ethiopian Sign Language
in order to promote the use, status and functions the language.
- Train sign language interpreters for the various government organizations
as well as NGO's that deal with the life of the deaf in one way or another.
- Promote collaborative research on Ethiopian Sign Language with other
institutions of higher learning both locally and internationally etc.

Besides, be informed that in all courses of linguistics SW is included as
one means of teaching how to write signs. I will be informing all my
students to join the SW list and learn better. I hope they will be
contacting you soon.

We hope that this three year program will be extended to the Masters levels
soon. In addition we would like to invite all concerned readers to take a
stake in this process.

Best Regards,
Eyasu