eyebrows up, head up et eyegaze up

Thu Feb 14 21:26:44 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
February 14, 2008

On Feb 14, 2008, at 9:12 AM, Gagnon et Thibeault wrote:
> You will find the attached diagram.  Eyebrows, head and eyegaze are
> up at the same time.  I see hard between eyebrows up and eyegaze up.
> You will check the sign "PEUT-h-q" (PEUT (English, can), h= haut
> (up) and q= question).
> Do you have any suggestion (eyebrows up and eyegaze up) ? Regards,
> André

Hello Andre and Everyone -

Thank you for this question. The Faces are a little tricky and it may
be difficult for you to see... The Faces are designed so they can be
moved one face on top of the other....you need to move the circles
exactly on top of each other and it isn't that easy even for people
with perfect sight...

And when you place the circles exactly on top of each other, there are
still times when the eyebrows will hit the eyegaze...you are right
about that...The eyegaze symbols, at the moment, have to be written
separately from the eyebrows or they hit each other...

There are two ways to remedy this problem right now...

1. write two Facial Circles, either side by side, or vertical one
above the other....

or...

2. choose not to write so much detail

When the new ISWA 2008 is released this year, there will be a third
option...I am working on combination Faces, that combine some commonly
used facial expression symbols into one Facial Circle, already pre-
made for writers...we will see if those are useful or not, once they
can be used...it will be interesting to see if it helps...

Please see attached diagram...